To homeschool or not ?!?!

I think this has been one of the biggest topic at my house for the last year. We homeschooled K1 last year and we really enjoyed it but this year since she was going to Kindergarten we decided to let her in on the discussion and to see what she thought. As we did last year we prayed and talked about our decision to homeschool or put her in public school and we finally came to the agreement that we would "try" out public school on a trail basis. K1 was one of the main reasons that I agreed to let her to go school even though I have never been "sold" on the whole idea but as the school year goes on I can't help but have this lingering feeling of needing to homeschool her. I mean I literally have a "need" to be the one to teach her, so show her life, to show her a new way of learning, to actually see her learn, to watch her face as she discovers something new, to watch her discover and all in all just a be apart of her life.

Now I know it may be hard to believe but I was not really for homeschooling when the idea came to me. I had actually never even considered it before I had children such less even entertained the idea before in my life. It wasn't until pre-school got closer for K1 that I really started to think about homeschooling her. I didn't have much information and the community that I live in doesn't/didn't offer much information so I did what I do best and that is RESEARCH like CRAZY!! ;)

Once I started to really look into the different curriculum it got to be a bit overwhelming but the more time I have spent looking into homeschooling and into cirrculum the more I realize it is exactly what my family needs and wants. You can make it fit for your family if it's what you chose to do. Public school (in my opinion) is a one size fits all school I don't really agree with this approach to teaching. They want to push loads of busy work on you and your "hard work" all comes down to passing standardized testing. For my family and I we don't believe that public school is the best situation for our children so we have "officially" decided to homeschool our babies. The next step will be to pull her from school. We have already decided on the different curriculums so on to our next adventure...God willing. ;)

A picture from our homeschooling days in pre-k.

K1 pretending to eat her homemade ice cream that she molded. She how fun it is to homeschool. :)

And there is K2 making "mermaid clothes" as she put it. Hard to believe how big my babies have gotten in just a year.


Love them so much. God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment